Sunday 14 February 2010

Preparation

Today I have:

1.Booked the studio so that I have all my photo shoots in my diary. I can then concentrate on creating ideas and experimenting with these in preparation. This will give me more time to explore various methods and ways of creating a particular look such as using different make up products to see what works and what doesn't; and textures - which ones look better on the skin and how they represent a zombie.

2. Practiced my hair designs for my first shoot. I printed off a selection of images from magazines so that I have a reference on how hair pieces can be attached. I taped the images to the mirror when I was working to give me inspiration. I found that practicing on a dolls head was a lot easier than practicing on a human head, so once I had grasped it on the dolls head, I moved on to practicing on my (long suffering) flatmate's hair. By doing this and making sure I could create the effect I wanted, meant that on the actual day I would be able to do it perfectly in far less time, giving me more time to spend on the make up. I found that because I was used to 'shoving pins' onto the dolls head, I would have to be extremely careful not to stab my model with a hairpin! This is all useful practice for once I get employed after uni. I enjoyed creating a big hair look for this design as it isn't often I use hair pieces, and I found by constant practice that I gained more confidence at putting hair up, which is a great achievement for me.

3. Researched different lighting effects/camera angles and poses for the shoot. I have looked in Wound magazine as it's very much a fashion/art magazine. There were a few images I liked which were grainy, in black and white. I liked them because they were quite dark and edgy, and gave a texture in the style of old horror movies. This could be a great look to consider so I have the tear sheet to show the photographer. The rest of the magazine was mostly conceptual and had few poses that I could use for my trailer. I decided that as the make up is to be so striking and detailed, it would look better as a single headshot, I don't want to distract from the make up. Also, as the hair extensions aren't quite long enough to wrap around her whole head I had to pin them securely at the back, therefore you'd probably see them if it was an action body shot. By doing a head shot I'll be able to get a detailed close up of the make up. This will look fantastic in my portfolio as well.

4. Asked my model to bring a plain black tank top for the shoot as I don't want the clothing to take any focus away from the make up. I can also pull the straps down if I want.

5. Started creating design ideas in my sketchbook to express the sort of mood and perception I want to give. I've made my own template of a face on tracing paper and from that I've stuck on various areas of design, photocopying each stage, so I can see the progress and what looks best. I have cut out parts of the photocopies and again kept layering over the top and photocopying, resulting in a finished design, built from all my ideas. I find this method of working works well for me as I find it easier collaging and layering the images I like, experiment with the textures I wish to use, and combining make up and paint to produce a mood and atmosphere as well as a design. Richard Hamilton is an artist I aspire to, as he creates his artwork using a similar method and it is evident in his work that he got his inspiration from a build up of mixed media. Once I have an idea displayed on paper It's easier to see how the composition flows and whether I need to adjust certain parts to improve the structure. I can also establish what colours go well together. For this particular shoot, I want red to be the only vibrant colour as it needs to stand out as the main focus to symbolise blood. Any other colour will distract from the red so I will only use black and white for other parts.

6. Confirmed the date and time with my model and photographer so that they will both arrive on time as I have limited time in the make up room and studio. I have also told my model to arrive with no make up to save time removing it once she arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment