Monday 22 February 2010

First Zombie Shoot

This was my first zombie shoot... Following the make up designs I created in my sketchbook, I have produced a make up that gives the impression of a zombie.

I experimented and collaged different images and materials to create tear sheets and designs, so that in my shoot I knew exactly how I wanted the make up. Using these initial designs, I placed each stage on the face one by one, leading to the final design that I can use as a video clip. This will give me the opportunity to see what looks best and what looks most effective, photo or film?

The studio was booked 5-8 so ideally I wanted to start the make up at 3 leaving plenty of time to relax and get the make up on without rushing. Unfortunately my model arrived at quarter past which immediately made me behind time, as it took a while for her to settle down and get her make up off. I made sure she was comfortable and if she needed a drink as I wanted her to feel at ease, and I wanted to be as professional as possible which is all good practice for once I leave uni. I made sure she had a gown on as I wouldn't want anything to go on her clothes in case it stained. I started with her hair as I wanted to get it all in place before I made a start on the make up, otherwise I might not have any time for corrections. The hair went surprisingly well (I was really nervous as I lack confidence in hair styling), and because I had practiced a lot beforehand I was able to grip it up in the design I had planned, really quickly.

Once the hair was in place I started the make up. I made sure she didn't have any allergies or sensitive skin before I started and once the base was applied I stuck on the red thread. I then wanted to get the contact lenses in her eyes. Although I wanted to leave them out for as long as I could in case they irritated her eyes, I wanted to insert them before I did her eye make up, as they could water and ruin the eye make up. After we both washed our hands intensly, I got Lauren, my model, to put in the contact lenses herself. I gave her instructions on how to put them in, but it took about ten attempts. Once they were in I gently patted under her eye with a cotton bud so as not to irritate her eyes further, but to clean up any water or tears, and began with her eye make up. The photographer Kimberly Garrod, arrived on time and set up the lighting straight away so that we were ready to shoot. I had a bit of trouble as her eyes kept watering from the mascara! (Don't know why). Consequently I had to keep wiping the make up with a cotton bud and re-applying concealer, powder and eye liner, which was hard work and got a little messy. After a while they stopped watering and by the time we were in the studio ready to shoot I was able to correct the make up for the final time. I think next time I would have left the powdering to the end so it would have been easier to correct.

I told the photographer exactly what I wanted for the first shots and then left it up to her. I checked the make up on the camera viewfinder, that is the best way to see how the image will look. I saw that the glue looked a tad shiny which I hadn't noticed looking at her on set, and dusted a little translucent powder over the glue parts to take away the shine. I checked in the camera again and it looked much better.

I added more make up bit by bit for each section so that there was a build up in each picture, to make a series. I was extremely happy with the initial make up so there was nothing to lose by building on it. I had a rough idea of what I was going to apply but I wanted it to be spontaneous and apply it randomly. There were certain aspects I preferred more that others, I experimented with layering different materials of ribbon and string round her head and getting her to wear geek glasses to make it more fashion styled however it didn't really suit the theme and just looked out of place as their was no reason for the items to be there, but on the whole I was extremely happy with how the shoot went. I found that by going wild and doing my own thing with the build up of make up, I was able to create a more expressive look resulting in something looser and more individual, which is exactly what I wanted to achieve.

I was extremely happy with how things went, I got the first image spot on, and then I was able to go wild and experiment on the face in a spontaneous way, which I was also pleased with. There were a couple of looks I wasn't sure about but wanted to do anyway to see what it would look like in the moving clip. I have enough looks and images to work on for the clip. So now I look forward to getting the images back.

This was my first zombie shoot... Following the make up designs I created in my sketchbook, I have produced a make up that gives the impression of a zombie.

I experimented and collaged different images and materials to create tear sheets and designs, so that in my shoot I knew exactly how I wanted the make up. Using these initial designs, I placed each stage on the face one by one, leading to the final design that I can use as a video clip. This will give me the opportunity to see what looks best and what looks most effective, photo or film?

The shoot went very well and I was extremely happy with the images I got back.




No comments:

Post a Comment