Thursday 29 April 2010

Music for the trailer

Anthony's cut:

I didn't like his choice of music; he edited the first half of the trailer to the song Woo hoo by Blur!! Although the lyrics and beat went with the storyline of Ant's character racing round taking money, stealing cars and laptops because the city was frozen and he could do what he liked, I found the song too 'cheesy'. I wanted music without lyrics as I feel they distract from the visual content. Therefore, I have been trying to find suitable music. I want something upbeat to keep the underlying tension going and something that gives a strong beat relating to a heartbeat. This will pre-empt the shock of the first zombie appearance. Then the music changes, and I've chosen a steady drum beat to build the tension even further to fit the horror genre.

Steph's cut:

I have been up all night trying to find music for Steph's version of the trailer. I have looked at electro, drum and bass and dubstep as they have strong underlying beats which works well for creating tension. I have looked at artists such as The Prodigy, Fake Blood, Plump Djs and Subfocus. However I have decided to stick to the genre Dubstep as it is a unique sound described as 'tightly coiled productions with overwhelming bass lines and reverberant drum patterns'. It is gives an intense vibe to the sound and I can relate it to horror because of the increasing drum and constant beat building to a climax and a sudden beat drop, that creates a similar sensation to a fast heartbeat.

I found the most intense and heavy dubstep I could find and listened to a selection from 16 Bit who produces music that has a hardcore beat. I used 16 Bit's 'Chainsaw Calligraphy' in my dissertation horror clip which worked extremely well, building up the shock and horror factor.

Here's the shortlist sent Steph. These are the ones that I think would fit the best:


Machine Gun (16 Bit remix) - Noisia

Thieves - Self Similar

Stuck in the System - Joker

Demolion - Goldfinger

Mafia - KOAN sound


Note: I really wanted to use 'Chainsaw Calligraphy' - 16 Bit as it is really scary because they use the sound effects of a chainsaw, which somehow you automatically associate with murder! However I have already used that music before in my dissertation clip and because I will upload both onto my website in my next project, I don't want to use the same thing twice.






No comments:

Post a Comment